Performs venipunctures and skin punctures competently and expediently and all other procedures as listed and described in the Phlebotomy /specimen procurement manual. Has thorough knowledge of test requirements, assists in Clinical Laboratory as needed. Responsibilities include bleeding time tests, blood cultures, and whole blood glucose testing. Organizes incoming requests for collections/barcode labels and responds to telephone requests for specimen procurement. Maintains supplies and performs other duties as required by the supervisors. May be required to perform duties outside the hospital confines.
1. Demonstrates the ability to communicate and the commitment to the Support of the Mission, Vision, and Values of Mission Regional Medical Center, as well as departmental goals, and to all staff. Comply with "I Promise" Statement to assure Service Excellence initiatives are met.
2. Demonstrates and supports all 10 "I Promise" Value Statement to assure Service Excellence at Mission Regional Medical Center is met.
3. Is knowledgeable in HIPPA Regulatory Rules and patient rights to ensure an atmosphere that allows for the privacy, dignity and well being of all patients in a safe, secure environment.
4. Supports, cooperates with, and implements specific procedures and programs for:
a. Provides leadership and or guidance to other leaders and staff in goal setting, problem solving, resource management, and outcome achievements.
b. Demonstrates a commitment to a healthy safe work environment by modeling the desired behaviors and encouraging those in others. Including universal precautions, safe work practices, and hospital fire/safety/disaster plans, risk management, and security, report and/ or correct unsafe working conditions, equipment repair and maintenance needs.
c. Maintains the confidentiality of all data, including patients, employee and operations data in the hospital and outside of the hospital.
d. Assist in which all policies relating to Quality Assurance, Quality Control, handling and disposal of hazardous materials within their sections, are in compliance with all regulatory requirements.
e. Demonstrates a clear understanding of regulations applicable to staff and patient care or other department functions that ensures compliance with current law and policy to provide a work environment free from any type of harassment and illegal and discriminatory behavior.
5. Supports and participates in common teamwork:
(Service Excellence Traits)
a. Collaborates with other departments to create systems and problem solve ongoing issues that impact department/organizational goals and patient care delivery.
b. Cooperates and works together with all coworkers: plan and complete job duties with minimal supervisory direction, including appropriate judgment.
c. Uses tactful, appropriate communications in sensitive and emotional situations.
d. Follows up as appropriate with supervisor, coworkers or patients regarding reported complaints, problems and concerns.
e. Promotes positive public relations with patients, family members, guests and hospital staff (Service Excellence Traits)
f. Completes requirements for in-service training, acceptable attendance, and other work duties as assigned.
Adheres to dress codes. Including personal hygiene
Education and Training
1. A high school diploma or equivalent
2. Successful completion of vocational training in Phlebotomy that meets certification requirements preferred.
3. Training in computer operations and data processing
4. Medical terminology
5. Maintains Certification in Phlebotomy
1. Minimum of 6 months phlebotomy experience in a hospital setting preferred.